British Cactus and Succulent Society
The BCSS has about 80 branches which are organised into zones. We are part of Zone 9, along with Bristol, Gloucester, and Wiltshire branches. An annual Zone Convention is held as a one day meeting in addition to BCSS South Wales Branch meetings listed below.
BCSS South Wales Branch has a few surplus books and journals for sale.
Meetings in 2016 are held in Christchurch Church Hall, Lake Road North, Lakeside, Cardiff, CF23 5QN (see map).
Meetings in 2016 start at 7.30pm on the second Wednesday each month (January excepted) unless otherwise indicated.
Advance notice: from 2017 onwards, we will be changing both the location of meetings, and our regular meeting date, as follows:
Meetings in 2017 will be held in Fellowship room at the Methodist Church, Westminster Crescent, Cyncoed, Cardiff CF23 6SE (see map). (The church fronts Cyncoed Road, but access to the car park is in Westminster Crescent).
Meetings in 2017 will start at 7.30pm on the third Wednesday each month (January excepted) unless otherwise indicated.
If you are interested, please do come along and see what our meetings are all about!
Table show classes are indicated by *.
Registered Charity No. 290786.
For further information, contact any Branch Official.
BRACHYSTELMA & CEROPEGIA
After last year’s success, we will show another society DVD!
* Cleistocactus subgroup, Astrophytum group, Adromischus subgroup, Aloe group, Othonna group
PLANTS IN MY GREENHOUSE
Paul will tell us how he grows his plants, as well as what he grows
* Echinocactus group, Opuntia group, Espostoa subgroup, Echeveria subgroup, Agave group, Pelargonium group
HYDROCULTURE OF CACTUS PLANTS
Growing cacti in a soilless medium - how do you do it?
* Pachycereus subgroup, Mammillaria group, Thelocactus group, Aeonium subgroup, Crassula subgroup, Peperomia group
Sunday April 24th
ZONE 9 CONVENTION
Ticket needed in advance
Hardwicke Hall, Hardwicke, Gloucester
The all day convention includes plant sales, lunch and afternoon tea.
PAUL HOXEY: Exploring for Cacti in Mexico
WIEBE BOSMA: Succulents of Ethiopia
MARTIN LOWRY: Lobivias – the Story So Far
ARIZONA / HAAGE’S NURSERY
MALCOLM HATFIELD / RALPH MARTIN
Two mini talks from members in one evening
* Rebutia group, Parodia group, Strombocactus group, Sedum subgroup, Cristate succulent.
Saturday May 14th
SOUTH WALES BRANCH SHOW
at Graig Community Centre, Bassaleg, Newport (1 mile from M4 on A468 towards Caerphilly)
A fantastic exhibition of plants by local growers, and a huge range of cacti and succulents for sale at bargain prices. Please enter our show!
Not just your windowsill “Geraniums”, but much more interesting!
* Echinocereus group, Melocactus group, Euphorbia group, Stapelia group (excluding Hoodia subgroup), Adenia group.
Saturday June 25th
OUTING TO SOUTH WEST CACTUS MART
We may also try to arrange to visit another attraction on the same day
Details available at meetings or from the Secretary.
WHAT I DID LAST WINTER
As always, a very enviable trip!
* Gymnocalycium group, Matucana group, Turbinicarpus group, Hoodia subgroup, Anacampseros group
BRAZIL PART 2
The continuation of an excellent talk from last year
* Echinopsis group, Rhipsalis group, Lophophora group, Gasteria group, Didierea group
MEXICO PART 2
Another installment in this entertaining and informative series
* Stenocactus group, Pediocactus group, Conophytum subgroup, Lithops subgroup, Ceropegia group, Dorstenia group
TONY & SUZANNE MACE
There’s plenty to talk about on this wide ranging topic
* Coryphantha group, Copiapoa group, Mesembryanthemum group (excluding Conophytum and Lithops subgroups), Pachypodium group, Kedrostis group
A wonderland of unique plants
* Ariocarpus group, Eriosyce group, Cristate / Monstrose cactus, Haworthia group, Sempervivum subgroup
AGM & CHRISTMAS BUFFET
A chance to enjoy yourself. This is primarily a social occasion with lots of food, once the important business of the AGM is quickly finished.
Contributions to the festive spirit welcomed
* (no table show)
Go to the main BCSS Page.